Monday 5 May 2014

ACW Head on clash

My Dad has been busy rebasing and reorganising his ACW armies as he has decided to use Fire and Fury rules again after not quite been won over from the last rules he had adapted. He was keen to get them on the table top so at the weekend we had a straight up battle using them. I can vaguely remember using Fire and Fury what seems a lot of years ago but not the game mechanics. 


I used the Unions for a change and my dad took control of the Rebs. We managed to get several turns in during the course of the evening without much reference to the rule book and I picked up the rules quickly during the game after a quick briefing from my dad.
When we called an end to the game my dads confederates were beginning to break through, my left flank had started to collapse and although I did have success on the left of the centre my right centre had taking abit of a pasting when the confederates got into melee. My right flank had repelled the confederate attacks and was holding reasonably well. We did a quick points tally gained for destroyed/spent/wavering units and killed generals and my dad held the advantage 15-7 taking the victory.
Here are some pictures of the action,

The two armies start to close to each other

Union troops ready themselves for the advancing cavalry 
The union troops first volley across the corn fields
The Iron brigade in attack column charge but despite the bonus to hand to hand combat from the random event chart at the beginning of the game they fail to make any impact and are repulsed easily.
Union troops advance up the hill in the face of deadly Rebel fire.
The Confederates attack the church yard.
Union cavalry reinforce the wavering union centre
The Rebs attack the union right flank defending the woods, their random roll on the chart had seen this division on a minus to shooting due to wet powder.
The Union left starts to break as the pursuing rebels come under close range cannon fire
The depleted Iron brigade break  and retreat further through the cornfield as the greater numbers of confederates over realms them in melee 
The Union dismounted cavarly are forced to withdraw from the woods
The confederates attack is repulsed on the Union right
The union centre rallies and readies itself for the confederate second charge.



1 comment: