Sunday 16 July 2017

Back to the Ancient times

                                    Indian war elephants

A couple of Sunday's we ran an ancient game using Hail Caesar rules to fight a Alexander sucesser army pitted against the Indian army. As is usual in games I use the Macedonian army I was handicapped with some quite horendous command rolling, in particular my cavalry division which remained staionary for much of the game, which was a crying shame as I had great plans for these cavalry which were heavy armoured and carrying lances  matching the Indian heavy chariots! Still I managed to get into close combat with my Phalanxs with mixed results as my dads shooting with the Indians having a off day. The game ended in a draw which was probably a fair reflection of the game with both sides having lost  a couple of divisions and both sides having sucess in different quarters ofthe battle  field. Although frustrating at times the game was a good fun and it's always nice to see these 15mm troops on the table top. Here are some photos of the game unfolding........

















5 comments:

  1. Great looking units. Who makes the figures?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neil,
    The Indians were pretty tough, but I think I gave them a good run for their money. The heavy chariots were the one real problem I found.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    Than,s, the figures are a mixture of manufactures, the Macedonian pike are Lancashire games, Macedonian cavalry for the most part are irregular minatures a are some of the Peltasts, there are donnington miniatures amongst them as well, I will ask my dad who the Indians are main.y made from, all the models are 15mm scale

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your right Robbie, those Indians are tough, maybe a little bit to much in Hail Caesar, i don't think I have been any where near beating them in all the games I have played against them and those heavy chariots, I refer to them as a early version of the Tiger tank 😂

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am just starting in ancieant annd bought a bunch of romans and carthegians for punic wars fun. I have the Warmaster Ancients rules but havent played them yet. DO you recommend that , hail caaser or sword and spear.

    ReplyDelete