Monday 24 February 2014

Macedonians v Indians


H

It was time for our first game between our new Macedonian and Indian armies. We played a staight up battle line game with a few hills and woods scattered around the field. My Dad had drawn a map for his forces and once I had deployed my Macedonian forces I was given a surprise when all the Indian cavalry and chariots were deployed on their right flank, unlucky for me I only had a small division of medium and light cavalry facing them.

My Macedonians were led by Alexander who took command of he Companion  Cavalry division and Porus atop of his Elephant took command of one of the Indian foot divisions.
The Battle was set.... 

The massed ranks of Macedonian Pikes

The Indian battle line 

The Indian cavalry division starts the Indian advance

A blunder from the Indian commander saw the reserve division get a little excited and storm ahead a full three moves.

My first mistake as I hadn't put my Light cavalry into Open order so they could evade the forth coming charge, both units were charged and destroyed by the Indian medium cavalry and heavy chariots.
 

Cretan archers and Peltasts skirmish ahead of the Greek Hopilite Phalanxs.
 

The companion cavalry and Hetairoi led by Alexander ready to charge but had some what been isolated by the supporting infantry division who had failed three command rolls in succession 

The Indian right wing cavalry attack

As can be seen my Macedonian battle line is staggered in steps, the companion cavarly have pushed the Indian right flank back with harassing fire but isolated they have yet make the charge

With the supporting infantry division finally making a move and coming under a hail of arrows from the Indian troops I had to charge with the Companions, the elite Hetairoi coming under closing fire refused to complete their charge....

The Thessalian  cavarly were left with little choice but to charge the Charrriots and cavarly which they refused to do with a ill timed failed command roll, the result was predictable as the heavy Charrriots didn't need a second invitation and supported by the cavarly they broke the Thessalians, breaking the division in the process, my Phalenities were now in real danger of been flanked 

After the Indians infantry managed to hold there lines against the first wave of the companion attack Alexander saw an opportunity to flank a unit of infantry, leading the companions from the front he broke the first infantry unit and sweeping advanced into a second infantry unit.

The Macadonian left flank slowly tries to reorganise its self to prevent a flank attack

The Greek Hopilite Phalanxs were with in a three move charge range, passing there command roll with ease they weathered the closing archer fire relatively unscathered and clashed into the Indian infantry and elephants

The Indian infantry are defeated and the supporting elephants give ground as the Greeks push into the the Indian lines

After destroying the bolt thrower the cavarly charge into the flank of a Maccadonian Phalanxs, despite been at a large disadvantage the pikes stand firm and due to he Phalanxs special rule they manage to hold their ground for the next couple of turns before driving the Indian cavarly back.

The remaining Greek Hopilites moved into support of the Peltasts who had been charged by a War Elephant, along with a unit of slingers these extra numbers forced the elephant to break,making the indian Infantry division broken, the remaining infantry turned heel and started to retire from the field.

The Indian cavarly have now completely out manoeuvred the Macedonian Phalanxs and charged into the flank of the left hand side Phalanxs, although they didn't get broken, two of the three Phalanxs units were now shaken

An Indian heavy chariot in combat with a unit of Peltasts 

The end of the game position, although I had made good progress with my Greek Hopilites and a full division of elite Phalenities and Hypastists had finally reached the front lines of the battle ready to break the Indian centre I had all but lost my left flank and my companion cavarly despite fighting hard had now broken. My Dads Indian army at this stage gained a minor victory having only lost one division to my two.

Well the game was really fun and certainly give me plenty to think about tactically. I was caught by complete surprise by my Dads deployment and was given a complete run around by his two mounted divisions. The Indian army certainly hammers you with a lot of arrow fire which makes it all the more important to get into combat ASAP. When I did fight foot v foot I saw how tough the Macedonian army is going to be. I was hindered by my best division failing to many command rolls and not moving, had these been supporting my Companion cavarly things could well have turned out differently.

I am going to have to have a few more Thessalian cavarly units to bolster the medium cavarly division and maybe some more Peltasts to help guard the flanks of my Phalanxs, oh and a new command stand to replace that useless leader of my Elite division!!!!!

All in all it lived up to my expectations and I'm looking forward to next time we fight these two armies.


1 comment: